Rescare Zoom Meetings
Our latest zoom forum was kindly hosted by Dr Joanna Griffin on Emotional Wellbeing in Parents of Disabled Children
Presentation: Emotional wellbeing in parents of disabled children
Dr Joanna Griffin is a parent carer (her son is 14 and has cerebral palsy, learning disability and autism) and Counselling Psychologist who has been researching emotional wellbeing in parents of disabled children.
Parenting a disabled child can elicit complex emotional responses. For many parents, the focus of those around them is solely on the child and their own needs become neglected. In her new book Day by Day, she focuses on the wellbeing of parent carers.
The author’s personal experience informs this book which explores what helps, and hinders, parent carers’ wellbeing. The book is available from Amazon .
Joanna also established the website www.affinityhub.uk which signposts to emotional support for parents of disabled children, including organisations and private counsellors. It outlines common emotions and wellbeing tips as well as quotes from parent carers on the impact of parenting and advice to others. Hearing from other parent carers can help us realise that we are not alone.
Zoom meeting topics
- These topics have all arisen from talking to our members.
- Most of the issues affect the families of people with learning disability in all age groups. We hope to offer information as well as support and discussion.
- Prior to each session there will be an information pack posted on our website
- The forums will be facilitated and should be lively and interesting.
- If you would like to join any of these please let us know by email email@example.com
- We need to know which session/s you want to attend and how many participants.
- We will send you an email with details of how to join the week before each session.
Benefits relating to people with a Learning Disability
with Kevin Ridings of Signpost for Carers