OVERVIEW OF RESCARE
Rescare is a registered UK charity.
We are a not-for-profit organisation, run by families of people with learning disabilities, for people with learning disabilities and their families.
Rescare runs a helpline five days a week, Monday to Friday, except on public holidays and between Christmas and New Year.
The helpline is available Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm. Outside these hours, messages may be left on our answerphone and we will get back to you on the next working day.
The first-hand experiences of its committee and its staff gives Rescare a particular insight into the problems associated with learning disability, and especially into the pressures on family carers. Rescare always welcomes new members Membership application details here.
Our Helpline – 0161 474 7323
(During Covid-19: Helpline number is 07904 403 721)
The helpline will attempt to reply to most questions relating to learning disability, and in particular to its impact on family carers.
Questions received can relate to:
- Health care
- Social care
- Concerns over the future of your families well-being
- Packages of care
- Questions about our membership
- Issues due to Covid19
Note: we can give information on legislation relating to learning disability e.g. the Mental Capacity Act, the role of the Court of Protection, the Children and Families Act, the Care Act 2014, but we cannot give specific legal advice.
Rescare also supports campaigns run by its members, and may endorse the campaigns of other organisations and charities as it sees appropriate.
Rescare lobbies MPs, ministers and agencies such as the Law Commission on changes to legislation and policy, and responds to many consultations on issues relating to learning disability.
We do our best to answer all of your calls and emails and we will always aim to respond within 1 working day.
- to promote the relief and welfare of children and adults with learning disabilities and their families
- to campaign for adequate provision in terms of social care, health care, housing and education, and for choice in provision
- to support the rights of parents and family carers to be consulted, and to exercise choice, regarding such provision
- to support parents and family carers by providing access to sources of information
- to make representations to local and central government e.g. with regard to the drafting and implementation of legislation
- to present petitions to Parliament or the Prime Minister’s Office
- to respond and contribute to consultations by government ministries, and non-governmental agencies e.g. the Law Commission
- to consult with Rescare’s members and represent their concerns to relevant parties
- to publish a regular newsletter, Resnews, for its membership
- to maintain a website reflecting and publicising Rescare’s objectives and concerns; and providing information and news on learning disability issues
- we advocate the meeting of needs and the promoting of choice.
- we seek choice in education, housing and care provision, not ‘one size fits all’ solutions
- we support for the rights of parents and family carers to be consulted and listened to.
- we believe that professionals and families in partnership can achieve the best outcome with the best value for money.